May 23rd 2023
All About Android 631
Talkin' Developer Tools With Google
Matthew McCullough and J. Eason, Pixel loyalty problem, Gboard
- Interview with Matthew McCullough and J. Eason:
- Explain your role as its evolved with Android over the years.
- How does your perspective with the Dev tools team compare to other teams and how you interact with Developers?
- What is the teams perspective on AI in regards to being part of the users experience and the dev experience?
- What is Studio Bot?
- What about how devs/companies may be wary of using Studio Bot, like how Apple and Samsung have banned devs from using ChatGPT?
- Cynical developers might be resistant to this. What's your take on that?
- What is developer reaction to the AI integration inside of Android Studio?
- Have you felt a change in interest or engagement with developers and partners as a whole in relation to larger form factors?
- What has been added to the OS, apis etc that devs can use to build better apps for foldable devices? - What kinds of features are devs NOT integrating for large screens, and they should!
- Can you comment on what "Modern Android" means to the team and how are you prioritizing new features and capabilities with "fixing" issues?
- What are your favorites Android 14 features?
- Google Is Spared a Search-Engine Switch by a Major Partner.
- Google Pixel owners are seemingly more likely to switch brands, and it’s not hard to see why.
- Google's Smartphone Loyalty Problem.
- Gboard for Android preps an easier way to ‘Resize’.
- JR's tip of the week: AppSales.
- @MishaalRahman: Android 14 prepares to let you save an 'app pair' that launches side-by-side in split-screen mode!
- @MishaalRahman: Hands-on: I finally got this fully working, so here's a full demo of Android 14's new partial screen recording feature.
- @MishaalRahman: If you connect a physical keyboard to a large screen device running Android 14, under Settings > System > Keyboard > Physical keyboard, the "keyboard shortcuts" menu will now show a MUCH more comprehensive list of available keyboard shortcuts, as shown below!
- @MishaalRahman: This feature is indeed live in Android 14 Beta 2! User Nick Cipriani shared this image from their Pixel. Oddly, they received this message while playing audio from their Bluetooth speaker and not headphones.
- @Nail_Sadykov: Looks like Android 14 will finally let you use system navigation while you're dragging & drop items. That is, you can take a photo or text from one app, open another app and drop it there.
- QUICK preview of the OnePlus Pad and Pixel 7a.
Read our show notes here: https://bit.ly/3BQaoTc
Subscribe to All About Android at https://twit.tv/shows/all-about-android.
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit