Dec 20th 2022
All About Android 609
The Year in Review
Interview with Chet Haase from Google, the biggest news, hardware, apps from 2022
- Interview with Chet Haase, Google engineer and author of "Androids: The team that built the Android Operating System"
- At what point do you realize you have a story to be told?
- What kind of clearance did you have to get to do the book?
- What is about Android that keeps some of its most senior engineering folks around?
- If the Nexus One had launched prior to the Droid, do you think it would have been a bigger hit?
- What's more important: Platform or Product within Google?
- Talk about the vision needed when building platforms.
- Is Android culture within Google still as silo'd as it was in the early days?
- Can you describe how the process of shipping a new Android feature has changed over time?
- How does the team work to keep the platform functioning and future-proof?
- How do you define Android's success in today's landscape?
- Android 13 is released.
- Android 12L is official as “Android 12.1,” rolling out now to Pixel phonesGoogle exec says Apple is ‘holding back’ customers who text.
- Google pesters Apple to support RCS in iMessage by explaining Drake's 'Texts Go Green'.
- Tim Cook dashes hopes for RCS support to arrive on iPhones.
- Google Messages has started letting some users react with any emoji.
- Google I/O 2022 takes place May 11–12 as virtual event with live keynotes.
- Android Dev Summit.
- Google Play to pilot third-party billing option, starting with Spotify.
- Google launches third-party Play Store billing pilot—but only cuts fees by 4%.
- Spotify is the first to launch non-Google Android billing in the US.
- Game Devs And Stadia Employees Alike Were Blindsided By The Sudden Shutdown.
- Android Auto is now ‘only for car screens,’ as phone version shuts down for good.
- Android Auto's Makeover Prioritizes the Map and Focuses on a Split-Screen Experience.
- Google giving app developers more time to fill the Play Store’s Data safety section.
- The Play Store's new Data Safety section is finally here to show the apps that may be invading your privacy.
- Google Play hides app permissions in favor of developer-written descriptions.
- Google Play restores the app permissions list.
- Google officially deploys app archiving through the Play Store.
- Google Infringed on Sonos Audio Patents, Trade Court Rules.
- OnePlus to offer 4 OS updates and 5 years of ‘regular’ patches for all flagships from 2023.
- Google gives us our first glimpse of the Pixel 7.
- Google unveils the Pixel Buds Pro with a custom audio chip, future Spatial Audio, and ANC.
- Google's Pixel Watch is Real, and It's Coming Later This Year.
- The Pixel Tablet is coming in 2023.
- Google Glass’s successor teased at I/O.
- Google Pixel 6a Coming This Summer, 7/7 Pro Likely to Follow This Fall.
- Pixel 6a released.
- Framework's Chromebook Is Bringing Modularity to ChromeOS.
- Samsung’s Galaxy S22 Ultra Is the Galaxy Note Reboot We've Been Waiting For.
- Everything Samsung Announced at Galaxy Unpacked.
- Galaxy S23 reportedly ditching Exynos chips, going for Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 worldwide.
- Geekbench just banned the last four years of Samsung flagships over throttling debacle.
- Carl Pei’s Nothing is working on a smartphone.
- Nothing Has Officially Launched its Phone, and It's Too Bad It's Not Coming to The U.S.
- Nothing Ear Stick Event.
- The OnePlus 10 Pro is launching globally next month with OxygenOS 12.1, not Unified OS [Update].
- The OnePlus 10T won’t have a mute switch — here’s why.
- New ‘Motorola MA1’ adapter brings wireless Android Auto to more cars for $90.
- JR's tip of the week: Walpy.
- Jetpack Compose debuts new Material Design 3 controls and expands to Android TV.
- Compose for Wear OS is now 1.0: time to build wearable apps with Compose!
- Google celebrates 5 years of Kotlin on Android.
- Google Hangouts shuts down for good today, as web app closes up shop.
- Google is combining Meet and Duo into a single app for voice and video calls.
- What's old is new again as old G Pay app becomes Google Wallet, arriving now.
- Introducing passkeys in Chrome.
- Android readying support for password-replacing ‘passkeys’ that sync to your Google Account.
- Google Play Games beta opens outside the US.
- Amazon Appstore on Windows 11.
Read our show notes here: http://bit.ly/3jdJMFH
Subscribe to All About Android at https://twit.tv/shows/all-about-android.
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit