Apr 27th 2023
Tech News Weekly 283
Colorado's John Deere Decision
Hosted by Jason Howell, Mikah Sargent
Protecting Kids on Social Media Act, Amazon Halo, Apple AR/VR Headset
Records every Thursday at 2:00pm Eastern / 11:00am Pacific / 18:00 UTC.
Guests: Shoshana Weissmann, Mark Gurman
- A new bill was unveiled Wednesday to set a minimum age in the US for social media usage. Shoshana Weissmann of the R Street Institute joins the show to share her thoughts on this bill.
- Mikah talks about Amazon shutting down its Halo division and what will happen to those who bought the device within the last year.
- Mark Gurman returns to the show to talk more about Apple's approach to the development of its upcoming AR/VR headset and how it will be marketed to possible customers with a "scattershot" approach to what the device is capable of.
- Finally, Jason talks about Colorado Governor Jared Polis signing a state law allowing farmers a right to repair tractors and other equipment themselves, a law that the company John Deere heavily opposed.
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/tech-news-weekly.
Get episodes ad-free with Club TWiT at https://twit.tv/clubtwit
- Senators unveil bipartisan legislation to ban kids under 13 from joining social media platforms
- Shoshana - "The new Schatz/Cotton social media bill has dropped and RIGHT off the bat there's massive issues"
- Protecting Kids on Social Media Act
- Amazon shuts down Halo division and discontinues all devices
- Apple Will Take Scattershot Approach to Pitching AR/VR Headset
- Colorado governor signs tractor right-to-repair law opposed by John Deere
- John Deere vows to open up its tractor tech, but right-to-repair backers have doubts