Nov 1st 2012
Know How... 18
Make a Hackintosh!
Run OS X on your PC if you dare. We'll show you the best resources to use to create your own Hackintosh. What could possibly happen?
Note: this project is not terribly legal. Building a Hackintosh is a violation of the Mac OS X End User License Agreement. However, unless you are building Hackintoshes to sell them, it is unlikely that Apple will waste the money it would take to sue you.
- A retail copy of Mac OS X
- USB Key 8GB or larger
- A PC with compatible parts... TonyMacx86 is our guide:
- We used TonyMacx86 to pick parts for our computer back when we built a PC with OMGChad.
- Follow the step-by-step guide that TonyMacX86 has together.
Depending on your OS and hardware, you will follow different guides. We could copy and paste the entire guide, but that's why we have links on the internet.
After you install the OS to your PC, not everything will work out of the box. We suggest doing a Google search for your motherboard's model name and the word Multibeast. Here's our search. The first result was excellent for us.
If you run into the Boot0 error, you may have to tinker around with terminal. We found the solution at MacBreaker.com and it required using the terminal to install a new bootloader. While it uses Terminal, it's pretty simple.
We asked you guys on Twitter, "What would YOU do with a Hackintosh?"
- Greg Plantada: @iyaz I'd use it for my desire to build a computer and also use OSX #TWITKH
- Hunter Poelsma: @iyaz As a musician I've never found something as good as Garage Band to record instruments and vocals with a mic. I miss my Macbook #TWiTKH
- Andrew Tech Help: @iyaz iOS development would probably be the main one. I made Hackintosh for a challenge though to prove Macs are just PCs inside :) #TWiTKH
Download or subscribe to this show at twit.tv/kh.
Contribute to our show! Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a voicemail at 408-800-KNOW (408-800-5669).
Thanks to Cachefly for the bandwidth for this show.
Running time:: 37:23