Jun 4th 2020
Hands-On Android 16
Lock Down Your Smartphone
Lock down your smartphone.
Our phones carry the content of our lives. As smartphone users, it's important to understand how the security features work so that all of that information isn't accessible by someone who confiscates the device, particularly in this time of protest. Jason Howell shares a number of ways that Android devices can be locked down in advance.
- Consider using a secondary phone.
- Turn on full-disk encryption.
- Run a VPN to protect outbound data.
- Replace biometric authentication with a strong PIN.
- Automatically lock the phone when it goes to sleep.
- Ensure that a power button press instantly locks the device.
- Hide notification data from the lock screen.
- Enable Lockdown features if offered.
- Set up two-factor authentication.
- Password protect your SIM card.
Check out the Electronic Frontier Foundation for more resources: https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/attending-protest
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/hands-on-android