Johnny Jet's Quick Tips for Getting Cheap Airfare
All Tips posts
Johnny Jet has some quick tips for getting cheaper airfare to go home for the holidays:
- Be flexible. You're not going to get a deal leaving Friday afternoon and returning Sunday like everyone else wants to do.
- Stay away from the low fare carriers. Even though it shows a really low price, you're actually going to end up paying more if you're checking or carrying a bag on.
- Consider the time of day. Leave the time blank when searching for tickets.
- Use alternate airports. Johnny has a website called alternateairports.com which lists all the different driving directions and all of the major cities have them.
- Look at nonstop and one stop flights.
- Use a lot of different search tools. There's not just one site out there that always has the cheapest flight. Google Flights, Orbitz, Kayak, Expedia, and JohnnyJet.com are good places to look.
- If you want to price Southwest tickets, you'll have to go to Southwest.com. Keep in mind that Southwest gives you two free checked bags.
- You can hold onto tickets for 24 hours if you're originating from the US. If you book a ticket, you have 24 hours to cancel it. American Airlines lets you hold tickets for 24 hours, the other airlines require you to book the tickets and cancel within 24 hours if you need to.
- Use frequent flyer miles and points very carefully. Especially during the holidays, you'll either want to fly on the holiday or around it.
- Book tickets really far in advance or very last minute.