Nov 4th 2018
This Week in Tech 691
The Prosecco Experience
- Apple announces new MacBook Air and Mac Mini, then blows them both away with its new iPad Pro.
- Apple will no longer tell us how many iPhones it sells.
- How to kill an iPhone with a balloon.
- Iran unmasks dozens of CIA agents with a Google search.
- Google employees stage walkout over sexual harassment
- Amazon exec mad at Washington Post for leaking new headquarters location.
- Facebook targets ads at "White Genocide Conspiracy Theorists."
- Voter suppression on Twitter, and IRL in Georgia.
- Passcodes are officially protected by the fifth amendment (at least in Florida, and only in some cases).
- Senator proposes a bill that would jail tech CEOs for misusing consumer data.
- FCC says community broadband is an "ominous threat to the first amendment."
Download or subscribe to this show at https://twit.tv/shows/this-week-in-tech
- Apple will stop reporting unit sales for iPhone, iPad and Mac from next quarter - 9to5Mac
- Reminder: Apple financial results released today
- Google to Pay Apple $12 Billion to Remain Safari's Default Search Engine in 2019: Report
- New MacBook Air, Mac mini hands-on: Making old favorites new again
- Retina MacBook Air Geekbench tests show modest improvements over 2017 model & 12-inch MacBook
- Geekbench results for the new iPad Pro show single-core and multi-core performance is on par with some 2018 MacBook Pro i7 model
- The new iPad Pro has reached parity with GPU performance of an Xbox One and is also has 1000x faster graphics than the original
- Diablo is getting a ‘full-fledged’ mobile RPG
- The CIA's communications suffered a catastrophic compromise
- iPhones are Allergic to Helium | iFixit
- Some Apple Watch users experiencing bricked devices after updating to watchOS 5.1 - 9to5Mac
- Google Walkout: Employees Stage Protest Over Handling of Sexual Harassment
- Google walkout organizers say 20,000+ participated and that Sundar Pichai will meet with his leadership team on Monday
- Sources: Amazon held advanced talks about opening HQ2 in Crystal City, Northern Virginia
- Amazon Exec Rips ‘Leaking’ to Bezos’ Washington Post on Headquarters
- Facebook Allowed Advertisers to Target Users Interested in “White Genocide” — Even in Wake of Pittsburgh Massacre
- Twitter deleted over 10,000 accounts seeking to discourage voting.
- Microsoft Office is getting a dark mode for macOS Mojave - The Verge
- Intel CPUs impacted by new PortSmash side-channel vulnerability | ZDNet
- Passcodes are protected by Fifth Amendment, says court – Naked Security
- Sen. Ron Wyden proposes bill that could jail executives who mishandle consumer data
- SpaceX's Starman Roadster has ventured past Mars
- NASA loses a space probe, orbital telescope and Mars rover
- FCC falsely claims community broadband an 'ominous threat to the first amendment.'