We're going to understand electronics better by building a little project with an Arduino Kit.
What's an Arduino? It's an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, software and hardware. In short - it's a microcontroller.
We asked you guys, "What's your favorite Arduino project that you've done or seen?"
- Jared Simmons: @iyaz Opening your garage door with an Arduino is pretty convenient. http://t.co/rxx7h4DN offers instructions without soldering. #TWiTKH
- Matthew Tasker: @iyaz #twitkh my absolute favorite arduino project that I saw was @benheck 's robotic luggage that followed u thanks to a sonar in ur jeans
- Eric Sandine: @iyaz Arduino Beer Brewing of course! #twitkh http://t.co/cpnxEHAd
We're going to show you a very simple thing -- making a servo move. We've picked up a kit that our producer's kid was working on. The kit is from Sparkfun.com, which includes everything you need to start your first Arduino project. You can also find great kits at adafruit.com and makershed.com.
There are 2 parts to putting together the project
- Wiring is as easy placing a diagram on a breadboard and then attaching wires following the guide.
- This kit makes it really easy. You can cut and paste the code from its website or you can learn by doing. Mess with the variables you'll see in the comments. Mess with the code! It's fun.
Learn to make your own Ethernet cable. Once you know how, you can make all kinds of custom length runs.
Download or subscribe to this show at twit.tv/kh.
Contribute to our show! Send us an email at email@example.com or leave us a voicemail at 408-800-KNOW (408-800-5669).
Thanks to Cachefly for the bandwidth for this show.