Here are today's top stories from Tech News Today for May 06, 2014:
- Tumblr founder David Karp wants to bring back the glory days of customized personal web sites in the early 2000s, before everybody started using uniform social media profile pages as their home on the Internet. Today, Tumblr updated its mobile app so users can customize their Tumblr layouts as they appear on smartphones. Read more at theverge.com.
- A startup called NowThisNews wants to do for news what Snapchat did for sexting -- make it self-destructing. And to do it, they’re in fact partnering with Snapchat. Read more at techcrunch.com.
- Google is testing a complete redesign for bookmarks in Chrome. Called Google Stars, the new system is a total departure from the utilitarian bookmarking feature that currently exists. Read more at thenextweb.com.
- An exclusive on Al Jazeera by investigative reporter Jason Leopold says that email messages obtained by Al Jazeera between the NSA and Google’s top executives reveal what Leopold calls a “cozy” working relationship. Google and other tech companies denied working closely with the NSA in the wake of the Edward Snowden revelations about mass surveillance. Read more at aljazeera.com.
- Google Glass is about to grow the ability to send money with a voice command, according to a story on TechCrunch. Integration with Google Wallet will enable users to say “send money,” followed by the name of the recipient and off it goes. Read more at techcrunch.com.
For insight, analysis, and discussion of these topics and more, check out Tech News Today for May 06, 2014.