Top News for June 3, 2014

Apple

Here are today's top stories from Tech News Today for June 03, 2014:

  1. Apple unveiled a mind-boggling range of products, services, updates and programs during the keynote address of its worldwide developer’s conference yesterday. The company announced and demonstrated new versions of its operating systems, including OS TEN Yosemite and iOS 8. Apple also showed a new ability for different things to work together. A feature call Continuity, for example, lets you move from a Mac to an iPhone, and pick up where you left off in a document. If your iPhone is nearby, you can answer it on your Mac. Apple borrowed ideas from not only Android, but from apps, seriously threatening the existence of the companies that make Dropbox, Glympse, Skitch and Docusign. They also rolled out some unique and powerful innovations. Read more at arstechnica.com.

  2. Apple also unveiled iOS 8 -- the next version of its phone and tablet operating system. Read more at cultofmac.com.

  3. The biggest announcement from Apple’s keynote, although the one least appreciated by the public, is the introduction of an entirely new programming language called Swift. Read more at cnet.com.

  4. Here's some good news if you thought Google Glass was under-priced. The company has announced new headsets created in collaboration with fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg's studio, DVF. The so-called Made for Glass designs go on sale June 23 and cost about $1600 to $1725, according to The Verge. The lesson here: You'll need to open Google Wallet even wider for Google Glass. Read more at theverge.com.

  5. Meanwhile across the pond, Europe has launched a $3.8 billion robotics research program, according to GigaOm. Armed with the research, the EU says robots will create 2 million jobs over the next 8 years. The twist: 70 percent of EU citizens believe robots steal people's jobs. I guess the other 30 percent are building the robots? Read more at gigaom.com.

For insight, analysis, and discussion of these topics and more, check out Tech News Today for June 03, 2014.